Go to main navigation
22503 Katy Freeway, Katy, Texas 77450

Texas Lawyer Assists Clients with Heirship Determinations

Katy firm represents family members and others when no valid will exists

Dealing with the death of someone close to you is difficult enough, but when questions exist about how the estate is to be disposed, the situation can go from bad to worse. My firm, Martin M. Hokanson, Attorney at Law, advises estate representatives and other interested parties in Texas heirship determination proceedings. If no proper testamentary document exists, or if excess property is identified after a will has been probated, I will pursue an appropriate disposition. Whatever your specific legal challenge entails, you can count on my experience and understanding of probate law to guide you toward a proper result.

Knowledgeable advocate handles intestacy cases and creditor actions

On behalf of family members, estate personal representatives and other interested parties throughout the Houston area, my firm prepares the necessary documentation to initiate an heirship determination proceeding. I provide knowledgeable advice on issues such as:

  • Intestacy rules — Texas law prioritizes the inheritance rights of family members when someone dies without a valid will. When someone has children but no spouse, distributing assets to sons and daughters seems like a simple procedure. However, situations involving surviving spouses, living parents, siblings, and children from a previous marriage can complicate things quickly. I’ll make sure you have a full understanding of how the intestacy statute applies to your situation.
  • Spousal share — Many states have what they call an “elective share,” which means that surviving spouses are entitled to a certain percentage of the property that their husband or wife leaves behind. As residents of a community property jurisdiction, Texans whose spouses die can assume full ownership of marital assets unless the decedent had children with another partner. Separate property is subject to other types of division depending on which family members survived the decedent.
  • Creditors — If a secured creditor believes that it is owed money from the estate, that creditor can petition the court for an heirship determination action.

No matter what your interest might be, I’ll guide you through every step of the process, including the location of disinterested witnesses and representation at the heirship determination proceeding. I have decades of experience handling all types of probate issues and will work to protect your rights in an efficient, professional manner.

Contact a seasoned Houston-area attorney for advice on heirship determinations

Martin M. Hokanson, Attorney at Law handles heirship determinations and other probate matters for clients throughout the Houston area. My regular office hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Please call 832-919-7670 or contact me online to schedule a consultation at my office in Katy.