Business and Commercial Lawyer in Katy, Texas
Providing experienced legal services in the greater Houston area
Martin M. Hokanson, Attorney at Law, has more than 35 years of experience as a business and commercial lawyer in Katy, Texas and the surrounding areas. As you operate your business, you engage in contracts and transactions that promote your goals but also bring the potential for challenges. When business disputes cannot be settled amicably, I have the experience and judgment to pursue a resolution through a variety of effective methods, including trial litigation.
Quality representation for the litigation needs of your small business
The goals of my small business litigation practice are to help a business avoid litigation and to provide effective representation when needed. I can represent the business owner who is dealing with any of these situations:
- Partnership/shareholder litigation. If you are in a shareholder dispute, or a dispute with your business partner or partners about responsibilities, profit distribution or other matters, I can negotiate for your position and argue your case in court if the dispute cannot be resolved otherwise.
- Commercial real estate litigation. This includes disagreements over commercial property ownership, lease and rental agreements and sales. As a commercial real estate attorney, I provide experienced, quality counsel and representation for all types of commercial real estate litigation matters.
- Non-compete agreements. A non-compete agreement is a legal document in which an employee agrees not to compete with the employer for a specified period of time after employment is terminated. Prohibited competition includes working for a competitor or establishing a competing business. A non-compete agreement is an important tool for protecting a company’s trade secrets, customer contacts and other proprietary information. I can review and advise you on your current non-compete agreement, or draft a new one.
- Business formation. There are different types of business entities, including sole proprietorships, limited liability companies (LLCs), partnerships, and corporations. The type of entity you choose at the business formation stage has a decisive impact on the liability you may face later if your business is sued or you become involved in litigation against a partner. Forming a proper partnership can be complex, especially when the partners have different responsibilities or investments in the business. Each partner’s obligations must be clear and his or her rights protected. If you are forming a business or considering changing the type of business entity you have, I can advise you and draft the formation documentation.
- Breach of contract litigation. An employee may violate a key clause of his or her contract or violate the contract entirely by, for example, quitting to work for a direct competitor. A partner may try to draw more profits from the business than agreed. When you cannot resolve these or other kinds of contract breaches amicably, I can litigate your position with the violators. Litigation may be as basic as my writing a letter to the other party or may require taking the case to court.
- Probate litigation involving collection or preserving estate assets. When a business partner dies, that person’s share of the business may be tied up in probate, and there may be difficulties for the surviving partners in buying or distributing the shares. When the sole owner of a business dies, the assets should be preserved for the estate and beneficiaries. I am experienced in representing clients in these matters and will work hard to achieve a fair outcome for you.
Schedule a consultation to discuss your business and commercial litigation matters
Contact me if you need assistance with a business or commercial litigation matter. As an experienced commercial litigator, I will provide dedicated, effective representation for you. My regular office hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m., and I am available evenings and weekends as well. Conveniently located on the Katy Freeway, my office has easy access from the Grand Parkway. If you prefer, we can meet in your office or other location convenient for you. To schedule your consultation, call me now at 832-919-7670 or contact me.